Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hungry for the DREAM Act!

I started my 65 hour fast on Tuesday at Midnight for the DREAM Act. I am almost done fasting. But the truth is that there were times where I felt like giving up but then i thought of the students in New York, who having been fasting for over 9 days to get Senator Schumer to advocate for the DREAM Act as a stand alone bill. I also thought about Nelly and Carla from Raleigh, who have been fasting for almost two weeks for the DREAM Act. All over the country, students and allies are escalating their actions because that is how true change happens. It gave me strength to continue on.
History has taught us that there is always a tipping point, when people have had enough of the injustices happening in their communities. Our turn is coming very soon, if it has not happened yet. But we CANNOT do it alone. We need YOUR SUPPORT!!

I'm fasting because I believe that the DREAM can and will pass if we all call our senators and representatives and make sure they know that the states they represent are affected by undocumented students not be able to contribute back to their communities. It nothing is done soon, we will have a lost generation of potential surgeons, engineers, architects, teachers, business leaders, lawyer and on. This will be tragic for our history. Not to mention that history will judge us for our actions and especially inactions.
So I ask you, if you really support the DREAM Act, have you called your senator to tell them that we are fasting? If you are not, we are starving for NOTHING!
Please CALL!!! It will take at most 3 minutes of your time!

Here are Kay Hagan's office numbers:

D.C.: 202-224-6342

Greensboro: 336-333-5311

Raleigh: 919-856-4630


Save a lost generation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment